Friday, September 5, 2008

Life and Death Issue

I've been trying to ransack my brain these past few weeks just to write something of worth. Unfortunately, my classes are keeping me so unkempt to the point that I don't have time for myself, let alone to blog. But, it's a commitment issue and I've got to deal with it. Well, today in class, something struck me real hard -- like a memorable Monday night barely a summer ago, where a tennis ball smashed into my right temple.

Art introduction class every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 8 am is hardly the subject to get me high in the morning. But today, an artwork that was introduced captured my attention.

Magdelen with the Smoking Flame

Being the complete banana that I am, I can't and don't interpret art very well. I was like, what's the skull there for? But as I later know, the skull represents mortality and after her encounter with Jesus, Mary Magdelen 'recounted her sins and pondered in the darkness'.

It's not everyday that I consistently recognize my own mortality and I guess the danger in doing so is that I waste so much of my life on trivial and vain matters, forgetting what that really means much in life. I mean, people don't just die of cancer and diseases. There are people who just drop dead in the streets. Only God knows when our time is up. Really now, it's time to wake up and realize that each day is precious and that there's a reason why we're even waking up every morning (people do die in their sleep, you know...). So, God, thank you that I woke up this morning. May you help me to live each day as if I'm dying.

No comments: